Do you envision a list involving salmon, moose, bear, mountain summits, through hikes, single track bike descents, canning and preserving goals, maybe a triathlon thrown in for good measure?
Not I. I need to relax. I don’t relax in the wilderness. I’m on constant bear alert, either that or getting shot by a random bear hunter alert. Here are some of my ideas for a perfect Alaskan summer. You may find you can follow them wherever you might find yourself. After all, Alaska is mostly a state of mind.
- Spend as much time as possible in the hammock. This will require a good supply of insect repellant but it is much more rewarding than actually accomplishing anything after a long day of work.
- Share my tandem with as many people as possible. I’ve started calling friends to ride with me and put an ad up to capture strangers. It’s an enormous bike, definitely as long as a horse but slightly lighter. What’s the point of waiting around for someone to announce that they vaguely remember I have a two seater hanging up in my shed? A tandem is the perfect excuse to advertise the need for companionship but in a sporty, retro, non-threatening manner. I’ll try not to coerce people to wear costumes until the 2nd or third ride.This is a Gary Fisher Gemini Mountain bike tandem from the 1980’s. It is appropriate to sing 1980’s music while riding. The Police, Bruce Springsteen, Van Halen, (David Lee Roth years), Duran Duran, Blondie, and The Bangles are all acceptable. This is not a Madonna bike. It is also okay to sing this old gem on this particular bike especially when wearing dark sunglasses. https://youtu.be/rsr_lJpDHfU
- I would like to watch more of the hundred best War movies. I like the old ones best and just finished “To Be or Not To Be” with Jack Benny on You Tube. https://youtu.be/T3eG37VDvfc I don’t love war but I am desperate to understand it and how it reflects the internal wars with which humans struggle.
- Read more books about The South. I love visiting my friend Rose Anne in Louisiana. It is as much another world as visiting my sister in Paris. I finished reading this excellent book and am now reading this one. These help me understand why there is a large movement in America to reclaim “glory days” of the past. This is a force to be reckoned with, not to be ignored.
- I need to write more and laugh more. I believe I am singing as much as I can without being murdered.
- It wouldn’t hurt to see some new movies. I don’t see many first run films but I would be willing to purchase a ticket to Bohemian Rhapsody or BlackKklansman.
- More raspberry ice tea. More raspberry everything. Alaska has great raspberries!
- Donald Trump protest art show anyone? I bet it could be fun or would we be giving him too much attention?
- I guess I could go camping one time but that is my goal every summer and each time I come back not having slept and I have a backache but a few funny stories.
- Stay in the moment, smell the air as it changes with each bloom of the season – lilacs, roses, clover, fireweed.