Note that the thoughtful Alaskan driver provides a refreshing shower for cross country skiers on the trail below. Mine was a bit muddy but certainly invigorating. Would a Californian driver be as thoughtful?
1. There are probably more hippies in California but our are tougher. Imagine eating only raw food at -4o degrees? Either that or our hippies are stupider.
2. We have very few electric cars here but this was the first place I ever saw a kick sled which is very efficient and retro for grocery and kid transport. Then there’s the fat tire bikes. I’m talking obese tires, clownishly awkward looking bikes, but only hip people ride them. I guess you could ride them on a beach but once again, much cooler in a snow storm.
3. Weatherwise, I think you’ve got to go with Alaska. Sure they’ve got damn good weather in California but it is generally cooler here.
4. Okay our food and our architecture suck. Except for salmon. Almost everyone likes our salmon, okay everyone but vegetarians, and vegans, many of whom live in California.
5. In terms of the arts, you might think California is the clear winner but if we count how much money is spent on marketing films and television that should never be made then you might want to consider the modesty of Alaskan arts. Sure none of us here are ever going to be on American Idol but it’s hard to imagine a quieter place to be inspired. I only get two tv channels and even that’s too much.
6. Community – Here people just stop by, they don’t always call. Often times I’ll just run out on the street to talk to my neighbors as there is very little traffic. I would have probably have tire marks on me if I crossed against a light in California. There are some quaint neighborhoods in California. In Anchorage, nothing looks very quaint, but the people are. I remember my first apartment here, I bought a floor lamp at Salvation Army and I couldn’t walk it home because so many people kept stopping to offer me a ride. Maybe because it was in Spenard and they thought it was some kind of sex thing, I don’t know.
7. Earthquakes – not quite sure who wins on this one. Ours might be bigger but they don’t kill as many people. We’ll let you win on this one.